CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.09.2008

Let The Games Begin!

I love the Olympics. There is something about the general feelings of world peace and camaraderie among the world's top athletes that strikes a chord in me. I had chills as I watched the Opening Ceremonies. I loved the looks of excitement and awe on the faces of the athletes, some from countries I've never even heard of! I can't imagine what it must mean to each of the competitors to just be there, having that experience, let alone to win a medal. It's great how the world seems to come to a halt, and that problems and bad feelings between countries are put aside all in the name of competition. I enjoy hearing all the background stories on the competitors and about how they defied the odds and overcame tremendous obstacles to be where they are today. It's just so inspiring and it makes me happy.

I think I love to watch so much because I'm a volleyball player and I understand competition. Even though it's on a much smaller scale than that of the Olympic athletes, I understand what it's like to work hard and dedicate hours upon hours to practice every day. I also understand the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. I am very competitive and I really get into it even when I watch.

I told Jason tonight that sometime in my life I would like to visit the summer Olympics when they are in another country. I think that would be a great experience and different than just any vacation. In the meantime, GO TEAM USA!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I totally agree with you! I have been glued to the Olympics all weekend ( I stayed in my p.j.'s all day on Saturday)!! I always have tears in my eyes during the behind the scene stories. I am so sad that I have to work all week and miss them.

Shayla said...

I'm totally watching women's 400m freestyle right now :) Fun talking to you yesterday! Post a pic a Britt soon so Hunter can see, k!? Have a good week!

mimiscraps said...

I have been fortunate to watch most of the Olympics in the hospital so that part of it was nice! LOL! Thank you so much for being so sweet and your thought and prayers! It meansa lot! I hope to be back to work soon!

Emilee said...

steph, your new look is great! i love the olympics too, watching it right now!
how do you get your comments to say "people said" instead of comments. i like that!